Monday, March 14, 2011

beyond......................


I attended an art opening at the Huntington Library, Art Collections & Botanical Gardens this past Friday evening and was utterly devastated by the beauty of this new exhibit. Artist, John Frame has created this magical world with hand-carved & found object creatures. The emotions & gestures they convey is beyond moving. One of the guests attending, unwittingly compared it to the work of Tim Burton, which I had to immediately & strongly disagree with. The work in this exhibit by John Frame is at a whole other level... a much higher level. Don't get me wrong, I love me some Time Burton and look forward to his exhibit opening up at LACMA later this Spring. But, John Frame, whom I was not acquainted with before, has blown my mind with these works. There is also a beautiful stop-motion animation film created with the characters that is very touching. Please, if you get the chance, pay this exhibit a visit.