Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Creature of habit...

... is what I seem to be, as are most of us. Therefore no blogs recently on places to explore or eateries to try. But, with my fiance coming into town on weekends now, I have been taking him to the places I have not been to in years and reminding myself of what is out there for us city dwellers of Los Angeles.

To start, my LACMA membership has not received much attention this past year, so we went there this past Saturday and viewed a definite, thought provoking exhibit by artist, Edward Kienholz. The piece, from 1969-1972, titled 'Five Car Stud', is a genuine narrative on our history here in the U.S. The depiction comes frighteningly to life, just be sure to go in with a strong stomach. We also tried to visit the Tim Burton exhibit at LACMA, but the crowd was still TOO LARGE to be able to enjoy and study the exhibit. I may just have to pass that one up entirely. I am one who likes to sit with the art and absorb it, if I am feeling any connection, and will get completely frustrated if a crowd is pushing me along to the next piece and to the exit.

This past Sunday, we spent the afternoon down in the marina enjoying the sun, watching the boats go in and out, observing a good citizen look over an ill pelican until professional help arrived for the rescue and took in the tides of the ocean. Great place to relax. Dinner that evening was at Ginger Grass. Good Vietnamese food and reasonably priced, located on Glendale Blvd near the intersection of SilverLake Blvd (opposite the new, neighborhood public library).

Over Memorial Day weekend, we strolled the quaint community in the canals of Venice, appreciating the beautiful homes, cottages and families of ducks. And yes, I did say 'fiance' above. I recently put an engagement band on my guy. That Sunday night, the event went down at Dusty's in SilverLake (I know... how typical & boring... a proposal in a restaurant. So not what I was wanting to do, but having carried the ring in my pants pocket all day I could wait no longer and the right opportunity/moment came about.). Looks like a Spring wedding in New York (where it is legal!) for your Property Manager.

By the way, Dusty's has a new chef as of a month ago and is even better than before.