Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Hot Sunday...


This past Sunday, brutally HOT Sunday, while running errands with the husband, as I drove east on Colorado Boulevard, in Pasadena, we passed the Norton Simon Museum and he voiced he had never been inside that museum. I was shocked and thought he had done everything already and I proceeded to state even my mother, who lived in New York, had visited the Norton Simon twice in her lifetime. So, I turned around and pulled into the parking lot of the Norton Simon Museum (no time like the present!)

For the next 3 hours, while enjoying the cool a/c, we perused the amassed collections of artwork they hold there. They have an incredible selection of the classic European masters in their permanent collection galleries... Van Gogh's, Degas', Picasso's, Modigliani's, de Goya's, Cezanne's and the list goes on. A stroll through their beautiful sculpture garden reveals a number of Auguste Rodin and Henry Moore masterpieces. And when you go downstairs, you will lose your mind over the Asian arts collection with all of the gorgeously detailed deities and iconography from the Buddhist and Hindu religions. It is pretty breathtaking throughout. The husband went through a few rolls of film and I sweetly remembered walking those galleries with my mother and the 2 girls I raised a decade ago. A good afternoon.

The weather is supposed to be warming up again this weekend, so escape into the world of art history. For more info, go to their website at nortonsimon.org . Admission is only $12.00 per adult.