Friday, July 6, 2012

Bakersfield Anyone?


If you happen to find yourself in Bakersfield (Bakersfield!?! What the... Who knows? Maybe you're traveling north and lose your way off of the I-5. And Hey! My partner/husband lives in Bakersfield.), amongst all of the delicious Basque eateries (Wool Growers is a good one! Our own 'Bags' recommended this one to me.), serving their tongue & soups & down home cooking, there is an Italian gem, Luigi's. Luigi's has been there in the same location for 102 years now serving the Bakersfield community. I experienced one of the best meals I've had in a long time and my partner was just as delighted. Double boned pork chops stuffed with creamy, warm cheese and home made ravioli on the side. The flavors were pure and hearty. I would say it is worth the trip to Bakersfield alone just to go to Luigi's. They have family style tables inside and a wonderful, shaded patio area out back. Luigi's also has a fully stocked Italian deli & market (they sell their own sauces & home made pastas) with top notch wines (Ask for Lynette, she will steer you towards what you want in a wine.). I just get the added attraction of visiting with my partner and exploring the nearby mountains that surround Bakersfield.

725 E. 19th St., off of Truxtun Ave. shopluigis.com