Monday, July 5, 2010

walking...

This past Saturday, early evening, I was still feeling full from a hearty breakfast and a later lunch. Energy was waning and I felt like I could not move. I made myself drive (5 minutes) over to Silverlake Reservoir to walk a lap around the reservoir. Now with my long legs, at a leisurely pace, I was able to do one lap around the reservoir in 45 minutes. Everyone should know what a great place this is to get out to and walk. Great scenery, beautiful homes, friendly people and to watch the dogs in the community dog park there is a joy. As I walked this early evening, the temperature was just right and I spotted a coyote all curled up and sleeping peacefully at the north end of the reservoir.

For those of you that like to take a pounding on your knees by jogging/running, Silverlake Reservoir is an ideal location because it is a dirt trail that completely wraps the reservoir for you to jog on.

After my lap, I was once again energized, had a light dinner and was up till 1 a.m. Do not become sedentary. Get out there and walk folks. From our own neighborhood, go east and walk yourself down Wilshire Blvd to MacArthur Park and back up 6th Street. Or, if that is too far, go as far as Lafayette Park and turn around. You can go west on Wilshire Blvd, to Western, and stop along the way at Wilshire Colonnade to sit by their water pool & fountain. There is great architecture to admire and people are always out and about in both directions.